A list of psychology research paper topics for college students
What is the prerequisite for a great research paper? What makes certain papers so much more interesting than others? Everything else being equal, a good topic is essential for an outstanding paper. A good topic will have appeal for you. If you do not find the topic interesting, there is no way you will be able to make it interesting for your audience. Boredom shows; not only in the paper but in the research too. Everyone has a vague idea of what they would like to research but very few have clarity and specificity. You should start thinking about your area of interest and then explore the topics that come under that category. For example, you may narrow down your area of interest to “Mandela” related topics from the broad category of Jungian psychology.
You can, of course, Google for psychology research topics if you want. You can wander through lists to see if something strikes you.
Here are some suggestions for topics for a psychology research paper compiled from different sources:
General Psychology topics:
This is a huge field if there are no specifications from your course instructor.
- You can write a paper about a current issue e.g.
- Parity in mental health care.
- Involvement of psychologists in military interrogations.
Abnormal Psychology topics:
- Depression: Has global terrorism and war resulted in increased number of cases of major depression in unaffected areas?
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Over diagnosed?
- Eating disorders: how is self-image formed/what distorts it?
- Schizophrenia: The genetic link.
- Antisocial Personality Disorder: Can it be avoided?
- You can also write a paper on a therapy e.g. DEBT
Cognitive psychology Topics:
- Problem solving
- Discrimination and prejudice: Do the rich hate the poor?
- Social cognition
- Cults and mobs
- Persuasion, propaganda and marketing
- Attraction, romance, and love: Can it last?
- Leadership: a personality trait?
- Nonverbal communication: can it be trusted?
Developmental Psychology Topics:
- Bullying and its long term effects
- Child abuse and its long term consequences relating to the victims psychological health
- Gender roles: nature or nurture?
- Media violence: effect on children