10 Useful Tips for Writing a Research Paper on Language Teaching
Composing a research paper on language teaching may look like the impossible task, especially if you consider the subject being boring. Fortunately, the assignment is still manageable if you complete it step-by-step following your professor’s instructions, helpful tips, and expert advice. So, stop procrastinating and get to work with the great guidelines below.
How to Compose a Winning Research Paper Assignment
You should aim high which means doing the simple things well. In other words, do not try to impress your professor by choosing the most complicated topic, studying the largest amount of sources, or providing very detailed information. Instead, follow these 10 practical tips for preparing a better assignment:
- Choose a topic that you are comfortable with, focus on a particular aspect of language teaching, and avoid topics that have a very narrow selection of sources.
- Find the necessary information by surfing the Net, online library catalog, and sites devoted to language learning and teaching.
- Think critically to come up with your thesis statement and try to formulate it in one sentence.
- Outline your key ideas and remember that all points must relate to your major research paper topic.
- Structure your assignment in a commonly-used way: write an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, conclusion, and discussion.
- Organize all the materials that you have according to your outline and verify that the information and statistics are reliable and up-to-date.
- Write your first draft, starting with the literature review and composing the introduction last when the rest of the paper is ready.
- Revise your work for any content errors, e.g. check if the described methods and techniques are effective in teaching languages or not.
- Rearrange the ideas to present the topic and your arguments in a logical manner and finalize your work.
- Get a checklist from your professor to ensure that your assignment meets the requirements and is ready for submission.
How to Prepare Your Assignment for Submission
By answering the following questions, you will check if your research paper is ready for marking:
- Did you include all the key ideas?
- Does your main argument provide an interesting point about language teaching in a clear manner?
- Are all sources cited in a proper way?
- Do all paragraphs contain topic and concluding sentences?
- Are there any unfinished sentences?
- Have you proofread the text using a thesaurus as needed?
- Is the bibliography list completed and formatted according to your paper requirements?